Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner - Recipe
This was seriously tasty and had lots of nutrients in it. I made enough for four people so we could have leftovers for lunch or dinner another day this week. It's also super versatile, I had it with brown rice but you could also have it with a salad, baked potato, steamed new potatoes, more veg or even pasta. Great for a midweek dinner or Sunday lunch :)
So here's the recipe, please bear with me, recipe writing isn't my forte! Any questions just let me know.
- Roughly 600g of Chicken (breast is the leanest kind)
- 320-400g of mushrooms, peas and spinach (to help you hit your 5 a day, remember 1 portion of one kind of veg = 80g)
- Wholegrain mustard about 1 tbsp
- Handful of Thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of olive oil to cook the chicken
- 300g of fresh chicken stock (watch out for that salt, try to eat no more than 6g a day!)
- A drizzle of oilve oil to help cook the mushrooms. Alternatively you can saute them without oil or in a tiny bit of water.
- Half fat creme fraiche 2-3 tbsp (remember this is still high in saturated fat so use sparingly, only 11% of your daily intake should be made up with saturated fat!) alternatively you could use semi-skimmed milk and thicken up the sauce with cornflour. My saturated fat intake was low throughout the day so I decided to use the creme fraiche as a treat :)
- Wholegrain rice (use the one you whack in the microwave, much easier and saves time!)
1. Cut any extra fat off the chicken that you can see and put it in a pan with the olive oil and brown off for about 3- 5 mins
2. Meanwhile cut the mushrooms, garlic (chop into small chunks) and thyme
3. Once the chicken is brown add the stock and then about 200ml of water and put it in the oven (without a lid)
4. Cook the mushrooms, garlic and thyme until soft and add the peas and spinach and cook for a couple of minutes
5. Remove the chicken from the oven and add the peas, spinach and mushroom mix
6. Add creme fraiche or milk and cornflour mix and mustard and stir
7. Put the chicken and veg mix into the oven again with the lid still off and cook for about 20-30 mins
8. Microwave the rice for 2 mins and serve
Easy peasy, enjoy!