Veggie Red Lentil Curry - Recipe
This veggie red lentil curry it the ultimate winter (or autumn!) warmer, packed with loads of nutrients. It's also the perfect dish to to batch cook at your next meal prep session. The below recipe serves 4 - 6 people (depending on how hungry you are!). You could even have it with extra veg, toasted wholemeal wraps or brown rice if you wanted to make it go further.
450g red lentils
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 tbsp onion seeds
1 vegetable stock cube
900ml water (add more if needed)
Splash of oil
1 large handful fresh coriander
1 large onion
1 large aubergine
1 large handful of spinach
1 tbsp soy coconut yogurt
2 tbsp of medium curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste (not too much salt, remember 6g a day is the recommended amount!)
1. Chop up the peppers, aubergine, sprinkle with a tablespoon of curry powder (more if you like it hot!), drizzle with oil and put them in the oven at 180 degrees for around 20-25 mins or until cooked.
2. Whilst the veg roasts, chop the onion into small chunks and fry in a pan with the onion seeds and remaining curry powder (add more for a kick!) until soft and the seeds start popping.
3. Next add in the lentils and cook without water for 1 min or so then add the stock cube and water and simmer. *Tip - Keep an eye on the lentils and stir them regularly, they soak up the water quite quickly and you might need to add more water.
4. Once the veg is baked add it to the lentil mix along with a large handful of spinach and some of the coriander (save some to sprinkle on top, maybe some extra chilli if you like it hot!). The lentil mix should be a thick consistency by now.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste along with a tablespoon of soy coconut yogurt and a sprinkle the remaining coriander on top.